July 7th was the last Farmers Market for the Spring of 2022. Stay tuned for news about whether or not there is a Fall Market. The paragraphs below were on this page before and during this year’s Market.
This page has been updated since our opening day, Thursday, May 5, 2022. Check back often as well as monitor the “FarmersMarket” tag in the Tag Cloud where you will see the current news that may not be repeated here.
Click here to review the Rules and Regulations for vendors selling at our market.
Click here to see that the market is listed with the State of Alabama, Farmers Market Authority as a Certified Market.
Click here to review the NEW (Ver. 3 as of 5/8/2022) Site Plan for the locations of the Farmers Market vendors, food trucks, and public parking and access.
To email the Farmers Market Manager, Frank Knippenberg, email FarmersMarket@UBCGrandBay.org. You can also call him at 251-263-2008.
Our Development Efforts for the First Year
2/4/22 – Called Alabama Farmers Market Authority office. Spoke with Mr. John Willoughby regarding UBC’s desire to operate a Farmers Market at the church site during the upcoming spring season. Received info on how to get approval for a Certified Farmers Market in Alabama; made plans to call back in two weeks to complete the application process and schedule a site visit of UBC facilities and complete our market rules and regulations for vendors selling fruit, vegetables, and honey at our certified farmers market.
2/10/22 – Attended Alabama Farmers Market Authority workshop for local farmers seeking certification in the 2022 Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program. Met with local farmers attending the workshop and provided our contact information. So far, 3 local farmers have received info on our proposed market and our contact info.
3/4/2022 – Met at the Church with Mr. John Willoughby of the Alabama Dept. of Agriculture & Industries to discuss the proposed operation.
- Mr. John Willoughby, Representative for Alabama Farmers Market Authority, drove from Montgomery to meet with us.
- Frank lead the meeting with everyone helping to answer John’s questions and learn from John’s advice on the advantages of being certified and, possibly, being approved by his boss to take “vouchers”.
- We discussed, using traffic data and population information, and the development of the UBC Farmers Market.
- The decision was made that the Farmers Market will begin on Thursday, May 5th, from 3 to 6 pm. It will be open each Thursday for 10 weeks.
- We planned the use of the parking lot and grass area to accommodate the farmer/vendors. See site plan.
- We are now soliciting vendors.
4/24/2022 – As of this date, we expect to have seven (7) vendors. Check this page in the next day or so for a site plan showing food truck setup locations during the Farmer’s Market events. [See link in the third paragraph of this page.]
5/1/2022 – The UBC Farmers Market is cited on the Farmers Market Authority website as a Certified Market. Click here the see the listing.
5/8/2022 – Revised the plan to swap the Farmers Market vendors with the Food Truck Vendors so the Farmers Market vendors are not facing into the setting sun and their products becoming impacted by the heat.
6/23/2022 – Due to hot afternoons, the market was moved inside the Christian Life Center (CLC) through the final market day, 7/7/2022.